Wednesday, January 2, 2013

An Engagement Story - Side A


I figure it is probably best to start the wedding blog with the story of how the wedding planning had all started - the proposal story!

We were planning on going to dinner with J.'s mom and husband since they had just gotten into town, for our master's graduation ceremony.  I was rushing to get ready and ran over to J.'s apartment with about 10 minutes before our reservation. When J. walked out, there was something weird about him - I don't know what it was, but his hand was in his pocket - hiding the ring box!  We pulled up to the parking space for dinner and J. suddenly was all excited to walk over and say hi to a friend of ours who just happened to be in the park next to the restaurant, and suddenly I was the one worried about being late!  J. told me that he had changed the reservation to 8:30pm because he figured we would be running late. Good enough excuse I guess.  

We started walking over to the gazebo and I was looking for my best friend (and now MOH!) Megan's car the entire time.  One of the "rules" I gave to J. prior to the engagement was that I would like to have a photographer to get a photo of it happening, and Megan then turned that into a "rule" that she must be there to be that person.  I knew that if I found Megan's car this was it, I didn't end up finding her car, but I did turn around to see her darting from tree to tree trying to run up and capture the moment with her camera!  J. introduced his mom and her husband to our three friends sitting under the Gazebo and told them that one of them had won the universities talent show and opened up for Gym Class Heroes when they were on campus.  J. then asked him to play something for us (because he just so happened to have his guitar...).  He started playing "Marry Me" by Bruno Mars (one of my favorites) and J. whispered into my ear then got down on one knee and I said yes!
 
After the proposal...
Afterward, J. had set up dinner to include Megan and we all went to the restaurant where J. had worked with the owner, to set up a dozen lilies with a note that read: "I knew you would say yes. I vow to love you for the rest of my life." We toasted to our engagement and at the end of the night were given a chocolate desert that was personalized in chocolate with a firework sticking out of it sparking everywhere. For the rest of the night (like I am sure will happen now for the rest of my life) J. was dragged around campus to show all of our friends my engagement ring (most of who already knew all about it and never said a word!).


It was an unforgettable night and one that was clearly very thoughtfully planned!  What is your engagement story?

No comments:

Post a Comment